EASTERN ORTHODOX EASTER
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR A FESTIVE
CINCO DE MAYO CELEBRATION
EASY AND QUICK CINCO DE MAYO DECOR IDEAS
DECORATE WITH LIMES AND BRIGHTLY COLORED FLOWERS
(from Whole foods)
4 ripe avocadoes
1/4 cup thinly sliced grape or cherry tomatoes (or mangoes if you’re feeling adventurous)
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
Coarsely chopped cilantro, to taste (I like about a teaspoon and a half)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Juice of one half lime- I grill it in a skillet (it enhances the flavor and warm limes produce more juice- it also smells heavenly)
1/2 teaspoon each cumin and chili powder (or to taste)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine all the ingredients except the avocadoes, salt and pepper to give the flavors a chance to meld for a half hour or so. Mash the avocadoes with a fork so there are whole pieces of avocado and then gently fold in the other ingredients. Serve immediately.
Another holiday occurs on the same day...
THE EASTERN ORTHODOX EASTER
(Christ is Risen)
Probably the strangest thing they did today was an Easter egg fight! As part of Eastern Orthodox Christianity, we paint hard boiled eggs and fight with them:
- Find the “sharp” end of the egg
- Wrap your fist around the egg, with the sharp end pointing downwards
- Hit the “blunt” side of your opponent’s egg with your sharp side
- If you cracked their egg, you are the winner. If not, you lose this round.
- Then turn your egg around and offer your blunt end for hitting
- You opponent will hit you with their sharp end
- The winner from the match keeps fighting other eggs until there is one egg champion.
- The best part, you get to eat all your cracked eggs!
- Ways to cheat: get a wooden egg and paint it as an Easter egg or find a duck egg, which is typically a little big bigger and much stronger.
We don’t have the Easter Bunny, egg hunts around the garden, or as much chocolate as they have in the States on this holiday, but our egg fights, the Easter feast, and the family gathering definitely make Easter one of the best holidays in Bulgaria!
I am in charge of the appetizer for our Easter dinner so I am combining the best of
CINCO DE MAYO with the celebration of the ORTHODOX EASTER with this
tasty Mediterranean 8 layer Dip from Whole Foods
So to all of my friends, for whatever you are celebrating this weekend I say to you:
ENJOY THE WEEKEND